Carnegie Mellon Alpha Phi
logo 2.png

New Page

HISTORY

 

History of Alpha Phi International

Alpha Phi International Fraternity was founded at Syracuse University in 1872 as one of the first Greek societies for women. Alpha Phi is dedicated to promoting sisterhood, cultivating leadership, encouraging intellectual curiosity and advocating service. The organization is comprised of more than 160 collegiate chapters and 150 alumnae chapters throughout the United States and Canada. 

At a time when society looked upon women only as daughters, wives, and mothers—and therefore not in need of higher education—our ten founders were pioneers of the coeducational system. Attending school with the handicap of implied, if not open, opposition, our founders sought support from each other. There was a need for a social center, a place of conference, a tie which should unite, a circle of friends who could sympathize with one another in their perplexities. They formed Alpha Phi in 1872 at Syracuse University. Today, Alpha Phi continues to provide a "tie which unites, a circle of friends" for women young and old all around the world. From hand to hand and heart to heart, we are all grateful and proud of the legacy left to us by our founders.

 
Martha Foote Crow, founding member of Alpha Phi

Martha Foote Crow, founding member of Alpha Phi

Founding members of the Iota Sigma Chapter of Alpha Phi

Founding members of the Iota Sigma Chapter of Alpha Phi

 

SYMBOLS

The primary symbol of Alpha Phi is the Ivy Leaf.

The primary symbol of Alpha Phi is the Ivy Leaf.

Our crest is the Alpha Phi coat of arms, which displays our colors: Silver and Bordeaux.

Our crest is the Alpha Phi coat of arms, which displays our colors: Silver and Bordeaux.

Our Fraternity constellation is Ursa Major, the great bear. Our mascot, the Phi Bear, is named after Ursa Major.

Our Fraternity constellation is Ursa Major, the great bear. Our mascot, the Phi Bear, is named after Ursa Major.

1423338174390.png

Our Fraternity’s symbolic flowers are the Lily of the Valley and the Forget-Me-Not.

Chapter History

The Iota Sigma chapter was installed on April 6, 2013. The weekend of installation concluded with a luncheon banquet to celebrate the chapter. Friends, community members, Alpha Phi sisters from all over the country, and family members were all in attendance. Founding members always mention Installation weekend as one of their favorite and proudest moments of being Alpha Phis.

The chapter moved into the largest housing facility on the Greek Quadrangle in the fall of 2013. The chapter participates in Greek Sing, Booth, and multiple philanthropy and social events each semester. Every year 32 sisters are lucky enough to live in the chapter house together. The house is where many Alpha Phi events, chapter meetings, and events with other organizations are held due to its convenient location and spacious facility.

Alpha Phi has established itself and participates in all activities and events of the other five Panhellenic sororities each semester and has created strong bonds with members of other Greek organizations all over campus. Sisters especially look forward to joining the Greek community each spring to participate in Greek Sing and Booth over Spring Carnival weekend.

 

values

The objectives of our Fraternity are the promotion of growth in character; unity of feeling, sisterly affection, and social communion among our members.

Mission Statement

Alpha Phi is a sisterhood of outstanding women supporting one another in lifelong achievement.